Saturday, April 5, 2008

Library Wikis

I am insanely jealous of Albany County Public Library's staff wiki. The thing that I really like about wikis vs blogs is that each user contributes to a coherent document, instead of posting stand-alone blurbs with strings of comments attached to them. Wikis are much more readable, in my opinion. I also like the idea of library procedures being documented as a work in progress. Wikis provide a much more democratic form of knowledge than a traditional encyclopedia or manual.

I made changes to the Minnewiki post on The Kitty Cat Klub, the comfiest bar in town. You can read it at http://minnewiki.publicradio.org/index.php/Kitty_Cat_Klub.

1 comment:

23 Things said...

I like wikis for some things and blogs for others. We did a copyright wiki for the metronet information literacy initiative that works great. Blogs work for this project so everyone can record their progress.

Nice to see your progress--