Friday, April 4, 2008

Library 2.0 Tools

1. E-mail. Definitely a time drain. The 5 Fast E-mail Productivity Tips were all things that I practice- except for the 5th one, which addresses that silent nagging guilt that comes from facing ancient e-mails from distant acquaintances. Hm. I'm a little two german protestant to let go of guilt that easily, but I'll consider it.

2 & 3. IM and SMS. I don't use IM anymore, and text only rarely. After a bout of serious tendonitis in my forearms during college, I'm careful to not type all day every day. I only get one set of hands!! :) As for IM at work, I can see how it would be useful in a larger library, but I work in a very small neighborhood branch with a staff of 3, so if I need to talk with a colleague I just turn around.

4. Webinars. I think that OPAL is a great way to expand the reach of the public library to those who are housebound, don't live close to a branch, are at home with small children, etc. Since a lot of people spend a lot of their waking lives on the internet these days, I'm all for offering people an alternative to World of Warcraft.

No comments: